Greenes Garden Things
Welcome to Greene's Garden Things! Our Forum is Free to use, just Register, then Log in and join us on the forums! We're waiting to hear from you!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Greenes Garden Things
Welcome to Greene's Garden Things! Our Forum is Free to use, just Register, then Log in and join us on the forums! We're waiting to hear from you!
Greenes Garden Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from Australia
by Theresa Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:00 pm

» Went to Springfield Illinois to give a presentation
by Josh Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:52 pm

» custom guitar how it sounds
by Josh Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 pm

» Won at the 4-H and county fair!
by Josh Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:23 pm

» I made my own guitar for a 4-H Fair project!
by Josh Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm

» What would you say if I told you how to make a raised bed garden at $0.00 cost
by Josh Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:19 pm

» Miniature Hinni
by Theresa Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:48 pm

» Terrarium
by Theresa Fri May 30, 2014 9:54 pm

» Double red wave petunias
by Theresa Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm

» A new addtion to our compost maker
by Josh Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:20 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Greenes Garden Things on your social bookmarking website

Flag Counter
Free counters!

The Diary of a wiggly worm.

4 posters

Go down

The Diary of a wiggly worm. Empty The Diary of a wiggly worm.

Post  Josh Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 pm

February 1st
I was turning the compost pile when I turned up two adult worms (Eisenia Foetida) mating.
I placed them in a container with some damp white tissue paper.

February 2nd
I checked them, and in between the layers of the damp tissue paper was a cocoon. I took damp white tissue paper and placed the cocoon in the middle of the layers of tissue paper and placed it in its own container and numbered it #1. The two adult worms appeared to be doing fine. I noticed that the damp tissue paper looked to have some tiny rolled up pieces of tissue spread about the container, I'm sure the worms have been working on eating the tissue so I added some chopped up lettuce for some food for the two adult worms. I added a few water drops to make sure everything remains damp.

I checked them each day between February 3rd through February 7th with no noticeable difference.
The Diary of a wiggly worm. 1-1

February 8th
I found one of the adult worms in the middle layer of white damp tissue. All signs of shredded lettuce was gone, so I added some more lettuce and a little piece of molded bread.

February 9th
While checking the layers of damp tissue paper I found a second cocoon, I removed the new cocoon and placed it in white damp tissue paper in a different container and numbered it # 2.

February 23rd
I have checked the two adult worms and each cocoon everyday from Feb 10th -23rd. Both adult worms seem to be doing fine. I check the layers of white tissue paper for any new cocoons. There is still more of what appears to be small rolled up pieces of tissue, and some darker specks that I believe to be worm castings. I added more damp bread and some more damp white tissue paper. When checking the cocoons I have noticed that the cocoon #1 is getting much darker, and has taken on a more rounded shape than cocoon #2.

The Diary of a wiggly worm. 2-1

Last edited by Josh on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Josh
Josh

https://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

The Diary of a wiggly worm. Empty Re: The Diary of a wiggly worm.

Post  Josh Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm

February 24th
I checked the cocoon # 1 today and there is 6 new baby worms!
The Diary of a wiggly worm. Born2-24-2012
They emerged from the cocoon exactly 23 days after the cocoon was made.
The babies are all about 1/4 inch long and are the size of a thread. Baby worms can start eating as soon as they are out of the cocoon. I added a small amount of damp molded bread for food.

When I checked the adult worms today they appeared to be
fine. When I checked the damp tissue
paper I found a new cocoon. I placed it
in damp tissue paper and put it in a container numbered #3.

February 27th
I have checked the adult worms and
each cocoon everyday from February 23rd to February 27th. I have found a
new cocoon today Feb. 27th. I placed it in damp white tissue paper and
placed it in a container numbered #4.

The baby worms in
container #1 are hard to find, but I was able to find 3 of the 6 in the
molded food. I am sure they are all in the molded food. There was no
noticeable difference in their size.

The two adult worms appear to be doing fine. I added a few drops of water and more damp white tissue paper.

February 29th
I have checked the worms and the cocoons each day from February 27th - February 28th. The worms seem to be doing fine. I found 4 of the 6 baby worms from cocoon # 1 eating the moldy food. They were hard to find so I am sure the others may be there as well and I am just not seeing them. The 4 that I found are growing and they measured to be about 3/4 of an inch now.
The Diary of a wiggly worm. Wormsfromcocoonone2-29-2012

March 1st
When checking the adult worms I found a new cocoon, I placed it in damp white tissue paper and numbered it #5.

March 2nd
I checked each cocoon and the two adult worms. The baby worms are getting darker pinkish color and easier to find, but still not seeing all 6 of them, but they are still in the food and hard to find. Cocoon # 2 has not produced any worms as yet, but the cocoon is rounder and firm to touch, once the worms come out of the cocoon when you touch it is has no firmness to it, just a hollow shell that flattens when touched.

When checking the adults, there is a new cocoon today. I placed it in damp white tissue paper and placed it in a container numbers # 6.

Last edited by Josh on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  nKedrOoStEr Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:40 am

I'll be really interested to see what the time frame is for the cocoon to hatch in box #3. So you got 6 out of 1 cocoon? So far only one has hatched?

nKedrOoStEr

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes 6 baby worms out of the one cocoon. I read that it takes around 23 days for the cocoon to hatch and that was just about right. I also read it depends on the temp as to how often the adult worms will mate. So far 3 cocoons this month. Everyone is always saying they multiply fast and I was curious as how fast is fast... Razz
I checked the little babies yesterday and at first I couldn't find them, and when I was just about to give up I seen 2 of them on the moldy food, so I'm thinking they were all there on the food. I wonder how long it takes a baby to grow up?
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 pm

That is so neat. It's because of you that I will be starting a worm bin for castings! Very Happy

Estimate 3 cacoons per month and they all hatch approx 6 worms per cacoon that'd be 18 baby worms a month. That's actually quite a few worms!

wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 pm

:cheers:wncsohn

Today I found another cocoon, so make that 4 cocoons a month, and sometimes there can be more than just 6 babies!
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Found another cocoon! # 5 now! Now 6!

Last edited by Josh on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  nKedrOoStEr Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

I wonder how long it takes a baby to grow up?

You'll be the first to know dont know You will have to fill us in how long it takes Very Happy

nKedrOoStEr

Back to top Go down

Post  tinsoldier Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Wow, that's really interesting! I have never seen an earthwrom cocoon. They almost look like something that would be on some seaweed in the ocean or something. It will be neat to learn how fast they grow, great pictures!
tinsoldier
tinsoldier

http://ponypose.info/emporium

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:46 pm

tinsoldier the worm cocoons are about the size of a grain of rice. I can't believe such a small thing can have 6 or more baby worms in there.
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Well, I finally took the leap and ordered my Red Wigglers! 2000 of the little buggers should be arriving this week!

Hope I'm as successful as you are Josh!

wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

That's Great! Are you making a worm tube? Or just having a worm bin?
Josh
Josh

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

For now I think we're going to just do a worm bin. We don't even have the contents in our beds yet so .... I don't think they'd be very comfortable in them! LOL

I need to go to the store this morning some time and get two bins for them, as I want to make sure they're new "home" is ready when they get here! Smile

wncsohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down